Summertime Ear Pain: Swimmer’s Ear or Ear Infection?Dr. Seemab Shaikh
Suffering from ear pain is not uncommon among swimmers during the summer. Swimmers suffer from the infection at the ear’s external part, known as Swimmer’s ear. This infection is also known as otitis externa. The prime reason for this infection is water, and swimmers often face this problem after swimming. However, people can also suffer from varied causes like using hearing aids, skin problems, or using cotton. Bacteria, known as pseudomonas aeruginosa, are the leading cause of this infection, and this infection deteriorates the outer skin of the ear.
Symptoms of Swimmer’s Ear:-
Individuals will often feel pain from mild to severe. You can feel excruciating pain while pulling the exterior part of the ear. Apart from pain, individuals will also face the problems like itching pressure on the ear. People may also face deterioration in hearing ability. Sometimes, patients express their severe pain over the face and have a fever. Well, many individuals are afraid of whether Swimmer’s ear is contagious or not. As per experts, this infection is not contagious.
Ways to get rid of Swimmer’s ear:-
If you are suddenly suffering from this problem, you can follow the tricks below to get rid of it.
- At first, tilt the head to a side so that the water inside the ear can get drained.
- Always try to keep the ear dry.
- Individuals can use a hairdryer gently to keep the ear dry.
- People can quickly get effective over-the-counter eardrops to stay away from Swimmer’s air.
Prevention for swimmer’s ear:-
Individuals who suffer from swimmer’s ear can follow the options below to prevent the infection.
- It is necessary to avoid swimming in impure water
- You need to take precautionary measures to block water from entering the ear.
- Experts suggest limiting the use of headphones and earplugs.
- Drain out the water and keep the ear dry.
In case of your Summertime Ear Pain infection, you can contact Dr. Seemab Shaikh in Pune for treatment.