Is Your Snoring Really Sleep Apnea? A Guide to Sleep Apnea and How It Can Impact Your HealthDr. Seemab Shaikh
Sleep is essential for leading a healthy and stress-free life. Snoring is a normal part of sleeping; however, excessive or loud snoring can cause trouble to your partner and your system. To get a good night’s sleep, follow the below-mentioned points.
What is sleep apnea?
Sleep apnea is a severe condition where a person’s breathing stops altogether and starts abruptly while sleeping.
When can snoring lead to sleep apnea?
Many people ignore signs and dismiss sleep apnea as normal snoring; however, it can open a pathway to several other problems.
- Hereditary or genetic conditions such as a cleft palate can be responsible for sleep apnea.
- Being extremely overweight.
- Big tonsils.
- Premature babies are more likely to develop this condition.
Symptoms of sleep apnea:-
- Not breathing for more than ten seconds.
- Excessively loud snoring
- Feeling sleepy the whole day
- Choking while being asleep
Treatment Of Sleep Apnea:-
- The doctor may suggest MRI, X-Ray, or CT scan understand the pattern of your airways.
- Surgeries like tissue removing or shrinking might help your snoring go away.
- The doctors also prescribe oral devices.
- It would be best if you adopted a healthy lifestyle without alcohol, obesity, or smoking.
As your partner to let you know if they are being disturbed by your snoring, if they say you are too loud, you might need to visit a specialist to confirm whether it is sleep apnea or not. Dr. Seemab Shaikh from Pune specializes in Sleep Apnea and can guide you through all the necessary solutions or precautions to resolve it